Tuesday, September 15, 2009

When it rains, it's time to get creative!

The Queen's gilded pumpkins...and regal pup!
Hmmm...the top is zebra, middle polka dots and bottom oak leaves

This pretty acorn was my inspiration to gild more around here

Love my urn collection with mini pumpkins

Wall table...maybe my next gilding project??

Our entry table with a punch of color from zinnias and handcrafted vases

It has been raining for six days in a row now and feels more like fall is really here. I decided to haul out the "Autumn" decorations from the attic and got to work. Fall is my favorite time of year for so many reasons. I love the muskiness in the air, the cooler weather and cracking open the windows at night, baking treats with lots of cinnamon in them and watching my husband cook up a big pot of Gumbo before LSU games. It's a "cozy" time and feels like something exciting is just around the corner!

As I set out all my pumpkins, gourds and candles, I thought about how these things will be out for a few months...better give everything a good dusting while I'm at it.

Last year I was inspired by gilded pumpkins I saw on the Country Living http://www.countryliving.com/homes/gilded-pumpkins-1008 web page and thought I would give it a try. I have a trio of large gilded acorns that I bought years ago and treasure them. I am attracted to the subtle coloring of the leafing on the smooth surface of the fake pumpkins and then aging it. So for the last two days, I have been painting base coats and sticky sizing onto my old pumpkins and then pressing on the gold leaf. I gave it a good coat of acrylic sealer and it brightens my doorstep.

No comments:

Post a Comment