Friday, March 4, 2011

The Beauty of Bugs

I’ve always gotten a chuckle from my son’s friends making remarks about the “bugs” I painted a few years ago.  One painting hangs in the dining room and the other one over Michael’s bed…’cause he’s my little bug.

IMG_1047

IMG_1049

Guess it all goes back to my fascination with June bugs…my great Aunt Mille would call me that every once in a while when I was little because I was born in June.  One sweltering fourth of July day in Atlanta, while sitting outside with all of the old folks listening to them reminiscing about the old days, a bug landed on my leg and I was about to swat it away…until I realized that it was the most beautiful color I had ever scene.  I just stared at it and let it walk up my leg.  Millie said, “Mary Eileen!  There’s a bug on you!  Do you know what kind of bug that is?”  I barely heard her over my amazement of the metallic greenish blue.  “That’s a June bug!” Millie winked at me.  And I have been in love with the beauty of bugs ever since.  Weird, huh?  But just look at them…

june-bug

Southern June Bug

japanese_beetle_adult

Some other glorious metallic June bug

a720_2

Beetle

Bugs_With_Human_Faces_2

stink bug…

green_stink_bug_nymph

They are as lovely and intricate as flowers.  I particularly love stink bugs…the colors and patterns are wonderful.  Does this one above look familiar?  I changed the orange to turquoise in my painting for Michael’s room!  It’s a green stink bug.

IMG_1048

I have a little collection of bugs in all shapes and forms…here’s a little something that sits on my credenza from time to time.

I also save retro bug clipart and prints…

1197099789387674303johnny_automatic_locust_svg_med!B6wBO8wBmk~$(KGrHqUOKikEyZMqnFvZBMyYKI7sQw~~-1_3394830026_0bde860c6f4137120958_5b5cf4a5024427567190_1866b9b1e9_odragonfly_clip_art_19561durinPG09durinPG30pender island amy dragonflystock-vector-dragonfly-45851494

I am framing some prints that I have been holding on to for a while to hang in my breakfast room.  I asked John and the boys if my collection of bug prints would bother them while they were eating.  (Like it really matters, after all, I am the queen of this castle and do what I want!)

No comments:

Post a Comment