Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Reflection on Numbers

I’m in that funky group of homeowners that think whimsy beats out traditional in certain situations.  Take our mailbox, for example.  There were u-g-l-y house numbers on the side when we bought the house 10 years ago.  About 5 years ago, I decided to take those off and come out with something on my own.  I like the outside of the house to somehow give a peek at the personality of the people living inside.  John wanted me to do something in purple and gold but he lost that fight after I told him that someone would rip it down.  I plant purple and yellow pansies at the mailbox and front door every fall and that’s enough for my Tiger fan. 

I decided to do a tile mosaic of our street numbers and used black, copper and cream tiles with cream grout.  I never took a picture of it, but it did the trick and held up for 5 years…until bits and pieces fell off this harsh winter. So, back to the drawing board.  Here’s what I started out with:

IMG_1157I bought this raw wood base from Hobby Lobby and decided it was going to reflect my love of black and white checks and a color in our living room…cinnabar.  I didn’t didn’t take pictures of the first steps (sorry!) but started by spraying the raw wood with Binzer 123 primer and them painted the raised molding a cream/white with a little gray.  Then I measures off for the black squares and painted them using black, dark brown and beige.  Yep!  I do like my Mackenzie-Childs and use their technique except for the colors of the interior as the accent colors instead of their traditional blue, gray and yellow accent paints.

IMG_1148

I decided to cross hatch the cinnabar color on the surface and went over this three times until you couldn’t see the white primer underneath.  I added a wine colored paint to the cinnabar paint to give it more interest.

IMG_1150Next comes the stenciling of the street numbers using a white wax carbon paper underneath my computer generated numbersIMG_1151

I am using gold leaf for the numbers, so the sizing is painted on first.

IMG_1153

Almost finished here with the painting…you have to let the gold leaf sizing dry to a tacky finish before adding the leafing. I used Mona Lisa Sizing and gold leaf.

IMG_1156

I didn’t take pictures during the gold leafing stage…it gets kind of messy!  I then sprayed the front and back of the sign with an indoor/outdoor polyurethane to protect it from the weather.  Last step is to outline the numbers with a black oil based paint pen.  This should be done last because the polyurethane will make the black oil paint run if sprayed on top.

IMG_1160

It’s pretty simple from this point…a little dab of Liquid Nails on the back…

IMG_1162

and a good strong bungee cord to keep the sign in place until it all dries in a few hours.

IMG_1161

And there you go…a unique street number sign that will hopefully get the job done! 

No comments:

Post a Comment